Monday, January 23, 2012

Prayer: first resource or last resort?


And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayer.” Acts 2:42

            The early church stood strong in the doctrines written by the apostles who were inspired by the Holy Spirit.  They fellowshipped with one another. The church had partaken in communion, remembering what their Savior did on the cross. They even came together and prayed.
            Every individual followed this, not out of legalism, but out of generous love for the Lord. We are to follow this example, but unfortunately, I did not. I thought it was unnecessary to follow that example. I viewed it as a burden. See, I read the Bible, attended church to fellowship; took part in communion, but prayer was something I struggled with.
            I had routine for praying, which was only to pray before I went to bed. It became spiritual laziness and legalism. On occasion I would pray when I was dealing with problems. Sadly, it was my last resort instead of it being my first resource. I wouldn’t start my day in prayer to thank God for another day. The thought of praying to ask the Lord to help me be a servant and witness to my co-workers before I went to work never came to mind. Not even once did I think of praying for my mother and father when they went to work knowing that they worked long and exhausting hours.
            At one point my “right before bed” prayer became a formula of words. It had no meaning. There’s was no heart in it. I’ve come to realize that in order for me to be a man of God I also have to be a man who prays to have a closer relationship with my Savior. I have to…no, WANT to discipline myself to be a man who “pray[s] without ceasing” (1 Thess 5:17).

Application: I will discipline myself to be in prayer because I Love God and I want a more intimate relationship with my Lord and Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment