Saturday, January 28, 2012

Fool's Gold

“For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his soul.”- Mark 8:36

            I’m sitting at a bus stop, listening to music, waiting for the bus to arrive to take me to my job. As I sit waiting somewhat patiently. I sit and stare at the cars driving by. Then I spot a 2004 Subaru WRX STI. It had the classic blue color with goldish brown rims, small wing in the back, and a turbo in the engine. My eyes open wide. I say to myself, “I want that car!” But then it drives away along with my desire for it.

            A couple minutes later the bus arrives. I get on, pay the toll and sit in the back. As I wait for my stop a kid listening to music enters the bus and sits right beside me. Curious to what MP3 player he has I look at it. Unnoticed obviously. I’m in shock. He has the brand new iTouch with a 16gb of memory, duel processor, games, wi-fi. This thing has it all. “Oh, how I wish I had it.” Then the kid leaves, I’m guessing it’s his stop, or he just thought I was creepy. Either way he walks away, taking my desire for the iTouch with him. Then I realize something, I’m desiring things I have no need for. Just like a baby that cries for a toy and when given it, it plays with it for a while and then throws it and begins to cry for a different toy. Here I am being that baby, forgetting to be content with Christ. Knowing that He is the one that actually satisfies my desire that fills in the God-shaped hole in my heart that no woman or object could fill.

Application: Material things either breaks or becomes obsolete, so today I will put away my phone for the whole day to focus on God more.

No comments:

Post a Comment