Thursday, February 16, 2012

Lingering Cancer

"Does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;" - 1 Cor. 13:5

At first when I read this I thought nothing in this verse convicts me, but as I continue re-reading it the Spirit really begins to draw my attention on a small fragment: "...Is not provoked." Instantly, God shows me events from my past (some just a couple days old) where my anger was easily aroused. He's showing me another nail I haven't hammered in on the coffin for my old self.

One event I remember in particular is the day I snapped at my mom full of anger. I've done this many times, which I've been convicted of, but this event is really pathetic on my part; continue reading and you'll agree with me.

One night I was on the computer probably on Facebook, and my mom calls out my name. She doesn't yell at all. She says calmly, "Jesse." I respond irritated, "What do you want?!" She comes to me and says, "Mijo, can you go through the Bible with me?"

My mom just wanted to learn more about God, and within that could of been the opportunity to share Christ redeeming love to her. I've allowed my anger to linger in my life, never really put effort in getting rid of it. Its like a cancer to my body, and instead of seeking medical treatment, I just pushed to the side hoping it would get rid of its self. Funny, how naive we are to believe the "little sins" are not a threat to our spiritual lives, or our witnessing. It is another lie that the enemy wants us to believe.

Application: I will pray and asked the Lord to reveal to me a piece of scripture to combat my easily provoked answer. Also, when I go back home I will ask my mom if she would like to have a bible study, something God has placed on my heart.

Update: I've sent my mom a letter apologizing for my anger and mistreatment. She forgave me and said I'm a good son. I love my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment