Saturday, April 28, 2012

Your Convictions, Not Our Conviction

"For each one shall bear his own load." - Galatians 6:5

Each Christian have a set of convictions that they share. For example, getting drunk or high. But some may have different convictions that the Lord has placed in their own heart. For example, some may have convictions on using certain words, or watching certain television shows.

These unique convictions are stumbling blocks with your relationship with God, and the Holy Spirit has revealed it to you. Let me emphasis that part, "YOU." Those are meant for you and not the whole congregation, but many times we try to make our convictions theirs. When in reality God hasn't placed those convictions on their heart.

There is a saying that I've heard from Pastor Josh Harris, "You can't ride off the coat tail of someone's else's conviction." God has to show it to them as they continue to read His Word and walk with Him daily; being in tune with the Spirit. If we tell them to follow it it becomes legalism. A relationship of works, hindering their relationship with God.

Even as I write this I hear God saying, "Practice what you preach, Jesse." Then He reveals to me certain events where I pushed my convictions on how one should spend their money. See, my conviction is spending money irresponsibly. I use to spend my money on dumb things that were not needed, and I wouldn't have money to tithe. And I started to try to convict my friends with MY conviction.

Application: I will apologize to my friend for trying to force my conviction on her.

No comments:

Post a Comment