Saturday, May 5, 2012

Hook. Line. Sinner

"Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap." - Galatians 6:7

This scripture hits right at the heart, reminding me who God is: an omniscience, omnipotent, and omnipresence Being. Nothing can be hidden from Him. Yet, I still find myself doing sinful things, acting as if He couldn't see it, and in the process undermining His attributes.

I conceive sinful thoughts knowing very well that He knows what I am thinking. I find myself doing sinful things as if He wasn't present, and when I continue to obey the flesh I find myself making a mockery of His greatest attribute: His banevolense.

Why do I do this? Why do I choose to act as if He can't read my thoughts? My heart? Why do I deceive myself in believing this deadly lie? Why do I mock God by belittling Him? To simplify the answer its because of Satan and our flesh.

Satan studies His prey, then cast out the bait to reel me in. When I snag his bait, its "Hook. Line. Sinner." I forget about God in the moment of indulging in my flesh, blocking Him out of my minds. When its over and the deed is done, I find myself at the foot of the cross, acknowledging Him. Filled with conviction, I ask, "God, what have I done? Why do I continue to do these stupid things?"

It hurts knowing that He shed His blood for me, and still I abide in the flesh. After that's done, where do I go from there? I feel like I'm not worthy of having a relationship with Him, that I'm not worthy of His grace. Do I just walk away from Him? He then speaks to me at the heart, "Jesse, I'm omniscience. I saw what you did before I came down to bear the cross for You, and even after knowing this I still died for you because You need a Redeemer. You need grace." He then points to a verse in 1 John: "If we confess our sins. He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9). A verse I have known for awhile, but has never really spoken to me until today that God is faithful to forgive if I repent.

Application: I will memorize 1 John 1:9 and I shall remind myself of my life verse as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment